Start of studies in winter term 2021/2022 - Information
We are convinced that education is created through interaction and exchange. The interaction between students and lecturers is important, but the exchange between students is also of central importance. The phase of study in particular is a very personality-shaping phase that is determined by these interactions. For this reason, we consider it important to offer physical face-to-face events within the scope of the possibilities available in order to support this exchange. At the same time, we are prepared for changes in the pandemic in order to be able to react accordingly to changing conditions.
Here you find all necessary information for successfully managing the first semester at the KIT faculty of Mechanical Engineering. Get started towards you Bachelor degree with the directions below.
Why Mechanical Engineering at KIT?
Our graduates receive preparation for the job market, as evidenced by first-class placements in (international) university rankings.
- The KIT merger of a university and a Helmholtz Research Center, which is unique in Germany, offers students the opportunity to participate in top international research already in their bachelor's studies.
The numerous research foci of KIT and, in particular, of the institutes of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering are reflected in numerous specializations in which students can deepen their interests in the bachelor's program and further develop them in the consecutive master's program.
- Study-related stays abroad offer the opportunity to build up further valuable skills for later professional life. In addition, the KIT has a very international student body. Studying here is therefore also popular abroad.
- With Ferdinand Redtenbacher, the first engineering education with scientific methods and standards started in Karlsruhe in the 19th century. Today, teaching exhibits from that time can be viewed in the Redtenbacher Collection.
Offer for first semester students
We want to give you a good start into your studies. Therefore, the KIT Faculty of Mechanical Engineering offers numerous opportunities to complete a successful first semester at KIT:
- Study counseling at the faculty at InSL with a special subject-specific first semester advice service.
- Orientation phase: The student council organises an orientation phase by students for students before the start of the semester.
- First semester mentoring: Here, new students have the opportunity to discuss essential questions of their studies in small groups with a tutor. In addition, professors and other contact persons relevant to your studies introduce themselves. You do not have to register separately for this programme, but will be informed about the details by e-mail shortly before the start of your studies.
In addition, you will find further general information here:
- General questions about studying and application/admission are answered by the central student advisory service zbs and the student service.
- The Studierendenwerkprovides information on all aspects of studying.
- ILIAS - Crash Course: In the section "Help for Students" you will find tips on how to use ILIAS .